Soil Building for Sustainable Gardens
GARDENING / Techniques
Sep 01, 2020
5.9 x 8.9 x 0.5 in | 180 gr
When you start thinking of soil as a living organism that has to be fed, your whole view of gardening changes. But keep in mind that soil-building is not a one-time operation ? it?s a process. Learn the tricks of the trade from a longtime horticultural expert who explains that the key to well-fed and happy plants lies in constantly replacing the humus, or the organic material, that is essential for releasing nutrients in a form that?s easily absorbed by plant roots. Chemical fertilizers will not add humus to the soil. These are merely nutritional supplements; plants and their soil need real food. There are numerous ways that soil fertility can be increased with a minimum of effort, and without needing to purchase a lot of things. From earthworms, green manures, and cover crops to mulching, composting, and no-till gardening, you?ll find wise advice in an easy-to-understand style with a good dose of humor. Along with a list of sixty weird things you didn?t realize you could compost is a section on organic soil amendments. This treasure trove of gardening knowledge will make your soil building experience as easy as possible.
• An expert horticulturist explains the process of building up the quality of garden soil that is essential for achieving good yields.
• There are numerous ways that soil fertility can be increased with a minimum of effort and without needing to purchase quantities of soil amendments.
• Urban and rural gardeners can transform their kitchen waste and other organic matter into valuable compost, also known as “black gold.”
• Readers will learn about what nutrients their soil needs and how to add them, along with the value of earthworms for creating and maintaining good quality soil.
• Tips are provided on how to efficiently replace poor-quality soil with a good layer of topsoil.
• Wise advice on topics such as whether to till or not, mulching, cover crops, and compost tea is conveyed in an easy-to-understand style with a good dose of humor.