- Short Description
- Author Bio
In the year 2030, Jasmine is busy with her sick mother, her missing twin sister, and a series of events that have her questioning her sanity. Until she meets Raphael, who reveals that Jasmine is a talented Seer and that her sister isn’t missing at all … she’s in the Place-in-Between, where the demons dwell.
The year is 2030, and climate change is making life on Earth more challenging. Fourteen-year-old Jasmine Guzman is struggling to come to terms with the abduction of her twin sister, Jade, and her mother’s illness. Things go from bad to worse when a series of bizarre occurrences make Jasmine wonder if she’s losing her mind. But, with help from Raphael, a boy at her new school, Jasmine learns she actually has special powers that are putting her life in danger.
Most surprising, she learns that her sister isn’t actually missing … Jasmine just needs to look in the right place: The-Place-in-Between, where the demons dwell.
- Not your average dystopia: Author used reputable climate-change studies to predict what life on Earth will be like in just fifteen years if more preventative efforts are not made
- Combines a realistic setting with a meticulously developed fantasy world with its own rules: The-Place-In-Between
- Protagonist is a young woman of colour struggling to cope in a devastated future
- Combines mythologies and beliefs from a variety of cultures regarding angels and Armageddon, intertwined with African folklore surrounding the special nature of identical twins
- Jasmine’s experiences at Beaconsfield, the school for Seers bring the grit of The Hunger Games’ Katniss Everdeen to the magical school setting of Hogwarts
Consumer ads: Canadian Children’s Book News, Best Books for Kids & Teens
Library wholesaler ads: Library Services Centre, Whitehots, Library Bound, Ingram Advance
Trade ads: School Library Journal, Booklist, Quill & Quire
Online ads: Facebook, Instagram, NetGalley
Books for Everybody submission
Trade shows, school and library conferences
Launch event, Toronto
Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Dundurn.com campaigns
YA blog tour
Digital Reader Copies available: NetGalley, Edelweiss
Targeted media and blogger review mailings
Advance Reading Copies available, enhanced quantity
Key Influencer mailing
Niche marketing to associations and interest groups
Shelf Talkers for independent booksellers
Book hashtag: #DaughtersofLight
Author Website: maryjenniferpayne.com
Author Blog: maryjenniferpayne.typepad.com
Author Twitter: @maryjpayne
Author Instagram: maryjpayneauthor
An inventive read with thought-provoking themes.
An intriguing sounding series.
- CM: Canadian Review of Materials
Payne has combined a dystopian setting with the fantasy elements of angels and demons and supernatural powers.
- Resource Links
This may interest teens enough to hope for more information in upcoming installments.
An intriguing start to a series.
- Literary Treats
A touch of forbidden romance, a few Alice in Wonderland references, and a twist of heavenly proportions have left me glad that this is the first of what will be a series.
- Canadian Children's Book News
“True page-turning appeal.”
- Quill & Quire